DeepMap’s VP of Operations, Richard Lucquet, participated in a panel last week titled HD Maps: An AV’s World View.
It was sponsored by Partners for Automated Vehicle Education (PAVE), a coalition that informs the public about automated vehicles and their potential.
The panel was moderated by PAVE’s Ed Niedermeyer. Richard was joined by Sheila Nedelcu of HERE, Tal Babaioff of Mobileye, and Aaron Nathan of Point One.
“For humans, maps serve one major function: helping us understand where we are, where we want to go, and how to get there,” said Ed. “For AVs, on the other hand, navigation is just the starting point for what machine-readable maps can do.”
During the lively panel, which you can watch here, Richard made the following points about DeepMap and the company’s perspective on mapping:
- DeepMap is a map engine cloud service provider. Our customers subscribe to our services through an enterprise SaaS model.
- We collect data from survey fleets as well as crowdsourcing fleets. We offer a highly-accurate ground truth map, which we call High Definition Reference.
- It’s clear to us that crowdsourcing is the only way to reach full autonomy. This has been our vision since the company was founded in 2016.
- Our map engine creates and updates maps from any data source with any sensor capability. We are sensor agnostic, which is one of the things our customers love about us. We are Switzerland, completely neutral. We don’t pigeonhole you.
- We are independent. We are not tied to a specific chip maker or automaker. This provides a lot of advantages.
Following the 30-minute panel, the panelists virtually hopped over to a Clubhouse room hosted by PAVE to continue the conversation.
* * *
About DeepMap: DeepMap is accelerating safe autonomy by providing the world’s best autonomous mapping and localization solutions. DeepMap delivers the technology necessary for self-driving vehicles to navigate in a complex and unpredictable environment. The company addresses three important elements: precise high-definition (HD) mapping, ultra-accurate real-time localization, and the server-side infrastructure to support massive global scaling. DeepMap was founded in 2016 and is headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif., with offices in Beijing and Guangzhou, China. Investors include Andreessen Horowitz, Accel, GSR Ventures, Generation, Goldman Sachs, NVIDIA, and Robert Bosch Venture Capital. For more information, see www.deepmap.ai.
DeepMap is hiring! Check out our careers page.
DeepMap’s Richard Lucquet Speaks about Mapping for AVs in PAVE Panel Session was originally published in DeepMap Blog on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.